Friday, January 13, 2006

Hayao and Goro Miyazaki, Tension!

Latest News from Nausicaa

January 12, 2006 [New!] Miyazaki Interview about Museum Shorts and "Tales from Earthsea"

The Daily Yomiuri Online has coverage (in English) of a recent roundtable interview with Miyazaki. He talks about the three newest Studio Ghibli Museum films and has the following comments about his role in the production of Tales of Earthsea:

I won't say anything [about the movie], lend a hand or even look it over. I'm not involved in any way. I'm keeping myself to myself in my studio as whenever we see each other we quickly start to feel tension.

The relationship between a parent and a child isn't easy or simple. And I myself have my own standards to evaluate other people as professionals--whoever they may be.

But I'd never say, "Give up!" even if I didn't like something he was doing. I've never said anything like that to him.

------------------------------
Personal Thoughts

I don't understand why Hayaoi Miyazaki doesn't support his son on the new project or is it because it is his son and he thinks their father-son relationship will bring extra attention and gossips from the public that might tarnish the studio's image? Or another major reason could be Goro Miyazaki has no previous experience in directing, or 'drawing' for that matter that he's deemed an unsuitable heir? The latter concern is reasonable but if that was the case, why wouldn't a father give his child his fullest mental support even though it is Goro's virgin project? Don't let public expectations butt in the way...

Experienced or not, I think Goro's going to give his 100% best just to prove what he's capable of! GO GO!

No comments: